Friday, December 4, 2009

Hyrum: Mr. Singles Ward


Last Sunday we attended a singles ward (I was playing violin with a trio for my friend who was going on her mission). Following the meeting the Bishop opened up the time for announcements (time for the auxiliary leaders to announce their activities for the week). One of the announcements was for a "Holidate" (an arranged dinner date). The girl who announced this explained to the congregation that they needed more guys to sign up so all the girls who wanted to go would have a date.

Hyrum tugged on my sleeve and said (not too quietly) "Hey! I'm a guy. Can I go on that Holidate?" All the single girls in the vicinity turned to look at him and "awed". The girl in front of us turned around, smiled and said, "I'd love to go with you!"

How ironic that Hyrum, the boy who for his Primary talk just weeks before, spoke of service. He surprised us all by adding things to his talk that we had not planned. For example:

"Service is when someone doesn't have a friend, you make friends with them and help them with math."

Or "When someone is stuck in a cave and afraid you give them a hug."

And my favorite, "When someone doesn't have anyone to marry, you marry them."

4 comments:

Angela said...

Ok- I just loves stories about Hyrum. They crack me up. You have to post more of them to entertain me on Saturday mornings. I guess he's going to be just like Eve, one heck of a heart throb.

Scarehaircare said...

LOVE THIS!! What a sweet, kind, and caring boy!

Anna said...

so cute. how darling.

Andrea said...

What an amazing family photo! You are all so GORGEOUS!