Monday, April 4, 2016

I sometimes forget I have this as a way to keep a journal.  A lot has happened.  Regular season church basketball is over.  We are still in Region play.  We had a  change to the Region sports leadership and they are struggling to get a schedule together.  They had the Region championship during Spring Break/Easter Weekend.  they changed the last weekend to be a month later in April.  Allowed some stakes to attempt to reschedule games so all their players could attend.  It was a Deacons game against our ward and a Ward that had 5 players that play on super league teams.  I think they thought they were going to win big.  Kyle Chandler and Jared Medina played very well and by themselves won by a big margin.  My obligation is done.  Now on to Dodgeball.   We dont have a Region date for dodgeball yet.

We went to Disneyland over Spring Break.  We went with the Chandlers.  It was fun.  I don;t like amusement parks or crowds.  Easter weekend is the busiest time to be at Disneyland.  Melissa found a way to use fast passes so we got on all the rides we wanted to before the park got too crowded.  The weather was great.  We rented a home closer to the park so we could get out of the park and swim when the park got too crowded.  We went to the beach after two days at the park.  It was a fun lazy day.  We discovered that most of the kids need a tutorial on how to apply sunscreen.  Emma and Hyrum has very bad sunburns.  Emma had handprints on the back of her legs that we ok but the rest of was bad burn.  hyrum normally swims with a short but took it off for the beach.  He attempted to apply sunscreen on wet skin and it did not work.  We spent most of the night applying cold compresses.  I had my hands in ice water ringing out whatever rags we had to put on the burned skin.  We did it again Sunday night for the boys who where still struggling.  Mason had a bad burn too.  IT was a trip taht was fun but we were glad to be home.  I took the day off after we got home to sleep and recover.  The rest of the kids are still not right with their sleep.  Mari falls asleep on the way to school.  Emma can't focus and tries to get to bed early. 

Friday was the BYU alumni day for BYU Football Spring camp.  Keith gets us into a practice where we can watch what the team is doing and eventually intertact witht he players.  they always make me feel small.  Fred Warner made me feel like a little boy.  I got to meet Ty Detmer who has always been a sports hero of mine.  Since the Miami game in 1990 I have not been the same.  I told that I have two sports heroes in my life that if I hear they have done something bad it would destroy me.  He can;t mess up.  If he does it can;t make the news.  Hyrum always runs around and gets the players to sing a shirt for him.  we ran to Walmart on our way to the event to get him a shirt.  Eve came and got a few pictures with the players.  They served us JDawgs after the practice.  It was good times.  After the alumni event we got to watch the BYU rugby team beat up on Utah.  Ryan plays for the B Team.  Utah does not have a B Team due to sanctions that has depleted their team. 

While we were in Provo we went to an audition for Eve.  She was asked to auditor again for a mormon message.  They had her play her  cello trying to show different emotions.  She says it went well.  She was very nervous but felt good about the outcome.

We had a great General Conference this last weekend.  It is great to hear what has been prepared for us.  hyrum came to Priesthood session for the first time.  He and Jacob did great.  Pres. Uchtdorf made a Star Wars reference.  He thought it was awesome.  We built a tent like we always do.  We did not have as many of the traditons that we normally have due to our trip and Mari's baptism next week.  We didn't buy the baby food and make butter.  That is a weird tradition anyways.  Tiffany brought that one into the family.  I don't understand it and I don't participate.  It is always sad to see Conference end.

We had a good FHE tonight.  Tiffany has been weeding to get the home ready for Mari's baptism.  We planted some flowers as a family and we had a lesson on baptism.  We reviewed what the baptismal commitment is.  We reviewed KATS, CC, MM, SAW.  We reviewed how to stand in the baptismal font.  I asked the kids to share a memory from the baptism and Mari shared her testimony.  It is a special privilege to baptize my children.  It is a challenge to have them get bigger and not be my little kids anymore.  The next stage is fun too but it is different.  Whenever I think that I still want very little kids all I need to do is be around really little kids for a few minutes and remember the noise and smells that come with the cuteness.

Eve provided a sweet experience that made me very proud.  There was a new girl in one of her classes.  the way the room is set up the girl had to sit by herself at the back of the class.  Eve asked if she could go back and sit with the new girl and ended up eating lunch with her.  We used it as an example of how to fulfill your baptismal covenants.  Super proud of Eve.

No comments: