Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Little Man


We attended a baptism of a friend's little boy. Hyrum is usually very social with everyone, complete strangers are his best friends....but tonight he was acting funny. He was a bit shy, making polite conversation, using his best manners, and sitting still. (Anyone who knows Hyrum knows that sitting still is not one of his best qualities.) I didn't realize why this sudden extra charm until I noticed that seated directly next to Hyrum, on the other side, were two beautiful teenage girls.

I caught Hyrum's eye as he was trying to figure out how to talk to these girls. He was so nervous! I've never seen him like this before. It was priceless to see this little man start to come out.

Hyrum pulled me down to his level and whispered in my ear, "Mom, being around pretty girls makes me jealous!"

"Jealous? What does 'jealous' mean Hyrum?"

"Jealous means....uh....I don't know....I just feel kind of.....nervous."

"It's okay, Hyrum. You can be nervous. You just remember to be yourself. You are a good boy!"

These girls were eating Hyrum up. He sat taller that night.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute cute cute story!

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

Oh my, we are in trouble. How old is Hyrum?

Scarehaircare said...

Hyrum is going to be a charmer that ranks up there with Cary Grant and Colin Firth. :)

Angela said...

Wow!! Watch out ladies cuz' he's cute too! I knew he would be a charmer as he got older. I just didn't expect it at 6!

Charlene and Dean's Blog said...

So grown up...where has time gone???
Love you