Sunday, October 10, 2010

Nursery Terrorist



Mari dear, sweet and pure absolutely LOVES Nursery. (Who wouldn't love playing with toys, having snacks, singing fun songs and learning about Jesus).

Mari looks forward to Nursery every week. In fact, as soon as the closing prayer is said in Sacrament meeting she joyfully shouts "NURSERY" (With the same exuberance as if she were going to the 7-11 for a SLURPEE!)

During the week, she prays for her Nursery leaders and sings the songs she's learned.





Today, however, Nursery became a whole new experience...

I was in the hall at church, between classes when a child (one of Mari's friends named Carol) is carried out of Nursery screaming. The frantic nursery leader is holding a blood filled rag to her head. My first thought was, "What horrible child would do that to another child!".

Suddenly, my heart stopped. I raced to the Nursery classroom. "Did Mari do that to Carol?" I was truly expecting a, "No! Mari would never do that to someone...she is so nice and sweet!" BUT... all the Nursery leaders could do was nod their heads "YES"

I rushed in there...."I'm so sorry. She's been going through a hitting phase...we're trying to discipline her each time she does. I'll go put her in Time-Out right now.

Mari's Nursery leaders tried to tell me it was okay, kids fight over toys all the time...

They told me that Mari and Carol wanted the same toy and Mari grabbed it and whacked Carol on the head. They said it was a soft toy and no one could understand how it could've caused the puncture wound that was there. Even Carol's dad went in to examine the toy. No one could see what had caused the damage.

All I know is that poor Carol was bleeding and my child was responsible.

To make matters worse, Ben was in the Deacon's Quorum setting apart a new Presidency with Carol's brother being put in as the Secretary. Carol's dad was late in getting to the meeting because he was helping drive Carol and mom home. When Carol's dad arrived, he explained why he was late. Ben jokingly said, "It was probably Mari". Carol's dad said, "Actually it was."

After church, we went over to Carol's house to bring her some treats so Mari could apologize to Carol.

When Carol opened the door she happily said, "Hi Mari!" Mari handed her the treats and said, "I'm sorry Carol". Carol got a surprised look on her face and said, "Is this the kid that whacked me?" Mari gave her a hug and they were friends again.

Oh to be as forgiving as a child!

5 comments:

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

That couldn't be our sweet Mari, no way, uh uh.

Angela said...

I'll be sure to keep an arm lengths distance from her for the next few months :)

Kimberly said...

I refuse to believe this post, sorry Tiffany.

Matthew said...

I blame Ben ....

Christie said...

I love how everyone's posts are indicative of their own personality. My family is awesome!