Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Magic Wand



It's simply magical...the lights in their eyes as they learn to rosin their bow, as they figure out how to hold this shiny new, amazing thing that actually makes sound when you figure out the trick...how to place their fingers to change the sound. What it means to be a "stand partner" and how your "stand partner" can become your best friend.

This is our first full week of orchestra for this school year...2 Beginning classes and 2 Advanced classes...about 40+ kids in all. We are a club, a group of crazy musicians.

We are not your typical stuffy orchestra. We have fun. We work hard and play hard. When nerves run high from trying to learn a difficult song, we get up and do the "Chicken Dance". We perform in "personality attire" (definition: wear something that expresses your personality...a silly wig (Eve wore a curly blue one), your pj's, a large hat....anything that is YOU!


Musicians have unique personalities. This year is no different. My group of students represent all kinds: the studious, the trend setters (the mismatched sock trend around our elementary started with 2 girls in the cello section), rockers (the electric violin will become her goal), the non-conformist (purple violins ARE cool!), composers (we performed one of our 3rd grader's compositions for our concert last spring. She wrote different parts for violins, violas, cellos, and piano...it was brilliant. It was her conducting debut! She has been working all summer on other pieces for our orchestra...the district is considering them to be played at our huge district concert in the spring). And in general, one huge friendly group of kids. Boys and girls, tiny and tall...all smiles...all the time!


At the end-of-year District Concert last year, my orchestra was the largest in the district. My students were well-behaved, well-prepared musically, and ready for fun (they led the others in a grape soda chugging contest during our dinner break). They were also invited back to perform for the second night performance (quite an honor!)...I'm proud of my group. When I was invited on the stage to conduct the encore number, my orchestra (mixed with 200 other kids) stood and cheered. I will never forget that moment...especially looking down and seeing my 2 sweet girls...it's worth all the squeaks and early mornings.





Who wouldn't love this job!

As I take my "magic wand" in my hand, step up to the podium, raise the orchestra to ready, look around at all those shining eyes (especially my own daughters) and give the down-beat, I know that this is exactly what I was born to do. How thankful I am to be a conductor!

3 comments:

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

You are amazing. We want to be in your orchestra - seems like we are missing out on a lot of fun.

Funk Master B said...

Hooray Tiffany! This is fantastic. I'm so happy for you. This is a perfect thing.

Angela said...

You Are Awesome!! Maybe I would have stayed with the violin if I had a teacher like you. I don't remember having "personality attire" that's for sure. I'm so glad that you love what you do...and that I get to miss all the squeaks and just see the finished products of fabulous musicians everywhere. :)