Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Monster Bite

A few days ago Hyrum was playing in his room by himself and not making a sound (Wow, I know). I was startled when he let out a whimper and then began to cry hysterically. I ran in to see what was wrong. Sobbing, he said that something had bit him. I checked it out and saw a large red spot on the base of the back of his neck. It looked like a white spot surrounded by deep red. I thought "spider bite". I kept checking his neck through the day and the spot was spreading and growing larger. He complained that he was sick and needed some down time. I wasn't sure if he was milking the injury to get extra TV time or it really was something to worry about. There was no fever so I had my doubts. Each time I checked his neck the spot seemed to get larger so I asked him if he knew what hurt him...his answers varied from: A bird flew in the window and pecked me (in January?) A bee came and stung me (again January?)...A monster bit my neck (no worries there). That night I debated whether we should take him to the doctor. He kept saying that he hurt and was sick but since there was no fever and his appetite was the same I decided to check it out in the morning.

I didn't sleep well that night concerned about my boy. I kept checking on him through the night to make sure he was OK. In the morning he came to our bedroom and I asked to see his neck. It didn't look like a spider bite anymore but like a rug-burn. I asked him, "Did you move something really fast on your neck?" His eyes went wide as he remembered and said "I think I know what it was, wait right here."

He returned with one of the girls hair ribbons and said, "I think it was this" and he placed the ribbon behind his neck and with his two little hands he grabbed each of the ends and moved that ribbon as fast as he could. "Ouch, yeah I think that was it." I was so frustrated by the lack of sleep I wasn't sure if I should be relieved or throttle the kid.

2 comments:

Funk Master B said...

I'm not surprised.

And that is a compliment.

Angela said...

He's so funny-